It is official! Yesterday I bought a yoga DVD and on Tuesday I made sweet potato fries. Yup…I repeat…it is official. My name is Lauren and I am a health junkie. I know I know. I’m breaking all kinds of rules here! I mean, surely it states somewhere in the Southern belle bylaws that we like our food battered, dipped, and deep fried! But here is my rationalization…you ready? I have hips. Full blown hips. I am a curvy gal. Now I know what you’re doing. Right now you are looking at my profile picture and thinking “this girl really is crazy.” I pinky promise I’m not. But back to the point.
I will tell you that while the sweet potato fries started as a health junkie thing, that is just a minuscule part of what spawned their creation. Oh taste-tester….that boyfriend of mine. I heard of his disdain for the coveted sweet potato and well…let’s just say challenge accepted!
Make sure those spuds are nice and clean! Won’t be winning any kind of challenge with dirty, soiled spuds. Also, I think I like the word spuds! Spud-errific! Spud-tastic!
Slice and dice….or dice and slice! You know…Po-tay-to, pa-tah-to! okay ahem…that was the last joke, I promise! But don’t those just look like most beautiful oompa loompa fries! Packed with beta-carotene!
Because Taste-tester’s dilemma is that sweet potato fries are too sweet (hence the name!) we spice things up a bit! Use whatever you like best. Taste-Tester is a garlic fan. Coat in oil, sprinkle your spice on and voila!
Most important rules though for crispy fries. Make sure that they are only lightly coated, are in the upper third of the oven and are spaced!! Apparently french fries are not friendly. They do not like each other in the oven. The more space the more crispy.
Now a perfect side to my whole wheat wrap! And guess what…challenge won! Taste-tester submitted to the awesomeness that is the sweet potato. The score stands sweet potato 1 and Taste-tester 0!
Oven-Baked Sweet Potato Fries
- 2 whole sweet potatoes, Peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin
- Dash of Black Pepper
- Dash of Crush Red Pepper Flakes
- Dice your potatoes into fries. Try to make them as even ins size and shape as possible.
- Lightly coat them in olive oil. Too much oil will make them soggy.
- Mix together any variety of spices you like but just remember a little goes a long way. But there is so many possibilities with sweet potatoes. Just do what feels right! If you want to make them spicy consider adding more crushed red pepper flakes or chili powder!
- Add your spices to your fries and toss to coat evenly
- Space out your fries on two large cooking trays. The more space the more crispy they get.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until fries are crispy. Remember to turn and flip them so that the whole fry gets crispy!